Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

What do you know about "handshoesurplus"?

What do you know about "handshoesurplus"? They sell lots of RV stuff on ebay. In Rome City, Indiana. Smack dab in the middle of RV manufacturing country.
The site says they sell "new", "surplus" RV stuff. I'm looking at a couple of items and the price is one half what I find everywhere else I've found it.

https://www.ebay.com/str/handshoesurplus

Thanks,
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Team

If you look at the positive feedback score, it tells you that they are 99.2% reliable. Click on the number of people served and you can see the satisfaction rating and comments.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Toolman: I purchased 2 brand new inwall 300:1 slide motors from them for $150 for the pair on a make offer deal. Most places I checked were selling them for $150 and up each. They had the protective rubber boot on them also. I always check their ebay store when I need parts and compare with Amazon. I've had very good success purchasing from them.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

No guarantees beyond 30 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
If you look at the positive feedback score, it tells you that they are 99.2% reliable. Click on the number of people served and you can see the satisfaction rating and comments.

Mark5w and Oliver - thanks for the feedback. I have looked at the very positive reviews. My hesitation is, I'm looking at a backup control module for my auto level system. I notice that a lot of the electronic devices don't have reviews, or even a link to leave a review. Under the "name" of the product there's usually a link to leave a review. That's missing on a lot of the products. I'd rather not lay out a couple hundred bucks for a backup electronics module ..... you get the idea. My auto level controller never did auto-level. Now it turns itself on every few days and beeps until I hear it and turn it off. It reports LF jack error but LF jack still works. This is most likely a moisture problem but who knows.

In the '80s , I ran a desktop computer manufacturing operation and I know manufacturers sell surplus/obsolete parts for pennies on the dollar pretty frequently. Mostly because things become technically obsolete pretty fast. But, we also got back field failed products, usually tested them to see if they really failed and then sold them as used since it was often cheaper to build a new one than diagnose and repair a failed controller. This was before ebay and amazon existed so the market for used electronics was very small. Now it's worldwide and a seller can reach millions of buyers with a single photo and a post on ebay. I'd settle for, "it was a returned product but we tested it and it works as expected".

I'd just like to know more. I'll email the seller and see what happens.

thanks for your time.
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

Old 04-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Toolman: I know they claim their stuff is new surplus, and in my case they were (newer updated version of what I had). I did check both motors out on the bench before installing. With electronics I would be leary also. I agree with you on contacting them to get a better feeling about buying electronics from them or not.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Toolman: I know they claim their stuff is new surplus, and in my case they were (newer updated version of what I had). I did check both motors out on the bench before installing. With electronics I would be leary also. I agree with you on contacting them to get a better feeling about buying electronics from them or not.
I sent them an email about the controller I'm interested in. The eBay description says they've sold 16 and have only one left in stock. The email reply I received said they've sold 2 and haven't had any complaints.
I had to take the trailer in for service this morning related to an insurance claim from water under the linoleum and I asked the RV shop to diagnose and let me know if the error code I'm getting is coming from the controller or from the LF jack encoder disc. They agreed that was pretty easy for them to diagnose. I'll go from there. (hmmm... now that I think about it, all I really need to do is swap the LF and RF jacks that plug into the controller. IF the error moves to the RF then I know it's the LF jack that erroring. IF the error stays with the LF jack then I know it's the controller. Oh well.)

Once I know a little more I think I'll buy either a controller or a jack motor/encoder from them. I have 30 days to return if necessary.

thanks for your feedback.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

Old 04-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Sounds like a good plan, good luck!