Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
New Camper

I upgraded from a 2009 Cruizer to the 35CK 2012 Rushmore. Love'd my Cruizer and was looking froward to my Rushmore but my issue's started the day I pickedit up. I work on the road so I'm full timing and time home is 1 day every 2 weeks. The day I picked up the Rushmore I was told the electronic door lockwiring was butchered from the factory and a new unit was ordered. Still at dealer as I don't have the time to takebackin. Took unit home to load for job the first time out. Pulled in slides to leave @ 2am, refrig wouldn't run on gas. Had to get under and pull lines down as they were pinched shut between slide and frame and managed to get working for trip. First time I vacumned the carpet edge banding on the slides started coming off as it is only tack stiched. Next I came in and the glass panel behind the stove had fell off the wall. Fixed that and noticed that paneling on dining slide is bowing out from nails not holding and molding on kitchen slide is also bowing from no nailing.A month laterand the refrig quit. Hi temp sensor trippeddue to ventalation opening to small at top of unit. Norcold wouldn't warrenty but Crossroads did reimburse after a couple calls to manufacturer and a couple months. I came induring a hard rain about a month after the fridge issue and the hall floor was soaked and water was coming out from the light fixture in the hall by bedroom door. After a month of stepping over a bucket the manufacturer finally found someone to make a service call to fix. Stress cracks from improper installation of the skylight over the shower, was caulked up and stopped water leakbut now cracks are beginning to expand above caulkingso now something else to be replaced. I've told the rep from the manufacturer that Crossroads needs to replace this unit as its been problems from day 1, evidently no quality control. NOT YET. I'm now into winter time in KY in a unit less than 1 yr old and temps are going into the teens at night, sometimes not out of the 20's during the day. For all the upgrades in insulation and everything else, this unit is the coldest thing I've ever been in in my life. Below 40 degrees the furnace runs over 20 hrs a day shutting off for 10-15 minutes between 45-55 minute run times. I'm using over a 100# bottle of gas a week and have had to put an elec heater in the bedroom to try and help keep that somewhat warm. Getting into bed feels like climbing up on a block of ice during the cold nights.Called Crossroads about heating issue and anew problem that began in January with cold temps. Was cleaning andpulled mattress out to change bedding. Wall below window from mattress to base board was soaking wet from sweat. Plywood base was wet out 2 ft under mattress and needless to say the bottom of mattress was also wet and the hinge and screws are beginning to rust. Now the new problem, even with the additional heater, that wall still sweats, plywood and mattress still wetand today have noticed that the mattress is beginning to show the black markings of mold starting on the bottom side. Sooo, needless to say, another call to Crossroads tomorrow. We'll see what happens this time. I hope all units aren't this way. I wish I had my Cruizer back if it had the upgrades I found in this unit. Anyway, good luck to all Rushmore owners and hope you aren't going thru what I am.
Paul M

PS; was looking at the new units today and noticed in the options something about Canadian Aire. I hope they are'nt inplying that these units will withstand Canadian temps because I sure wouldn't want to try with my unit. BRRRRRR
Paul Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have to say that being a campground owner and a advid camper most units have issues but not this many. I also will advise anyone to not camp in 20 degree weather no matter what a manafacture tells you. Campers get cold due to lack of double pane windows,thin walls etc. My cruiser has a polar package, and theres drafts around slideouts, etc. I use an electric blanket before i get in bed and never camp below 30's over night warm day temps. This is why we now are required to build houses 2x6 walls etc.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
New Camper

Moparguy, Thanks for the reply. As I said that this is home for me as I work on the road. As the time frame of most of the jobs we do, six months to a year this is the more practical way for me to go than trying to rent a house or motel living because that's not home as I think you can understand. Being in construction, I'm not really a weather critical type of person as I live with 85* in summer and around 70* inside in winter and the usual chill doesn't bother me that much but as discribed in my post the issues at hand with this unit is just a little more than normal.I really enjoy the camper life as it allows me the opportunity to see more of and enjoy a lot of the areas that I stay in and my dog and I can call it home. I also get to know a lot of great folks including those like you that own the campgrounds with living with them extended periods. Anyway, again I just wanted to thank you for you comments and wish you a great day.
Paul M
Paul Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sr
Moparguy, Thanks for the reply. As I said that this is home for me as I work on the road. As the time frame of most of the jobs we do, six months to a year this is the more practical way for me to go than trying to rent a house or motel living because that's not home as I think you can understand. Being in construction, I'm not really a weather critical type of person as I live with 85* in summer and around 70* inside in winter and the usual chill doesn't bother me that much but as discribed in my post the issues at hand with this unit is just a little more than normal.I really enjoy the camper life as it allows me the opportunity to see more of and enjoy a lot of the areas that I stay in and my dog and I can call it home. I also get to know a lot of great folks including those like you that own the campgrounds with living with them extended periods. Anyway, again I just wanted to thank you for you comments and wish you a great day.

Paul M

Just to follow up on cold temp camping expect mold, sweat on windows walls etc. These things are not made for winter camping, no matter what they tell you.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

[QUOTE=Paul . Below 40 degrees the furnace runs over 20 hrs a day shutting off for 10-15 minutes between 45-55 minute run times. I'm using over a 100# bottle of gas a week and have had to put an elec heater in the bedroom to try and help keep that somewhat warm. Getting into bed feelss like climbing up on a block of ice during the cold nights.Ā*Ā*[/QUOTE]

Have you looked for a leaking or disconnected duct underneath ?
We just tried out our new Cruiser a couple of weeks ago and using a small space heater the furnace barely ran. Temps weren't in the teens, but they were highs of low 30's. Your heating issue doesn't sound right to me, but I'm no expert!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Unless I am missing something on the Crossroads web site (which wouldn't be hard to do since they changed it and made less information available) I see nothing that says the Rushmore is rated as a "Four Seasons" unit. I find that hard to believe considering there are units out there in this same price range that are.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear of all the problems. I hope Crossroads will do what they need to do to correct your problems.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Paul SR, been there - done that.I feel for you,am sure you could find more on this site with similar stories as well. I have had numerous probs with mine, most if not all have been worked out, by CR and CWtoo with assistance from CR.One thing you might try, even if it may be a pain in the ***, try a hair dryer under the blankets/sheets prior to climbing in. The rest, well....
Wish you luck and happy camping/working.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Wow Paul Sr. my microwave problem seems small too your issues. We also have a problem with no force air heat in the bedroom. Why, no clue..I'm going to install a electric fire place in our bedroom after the microwave issue is solved. Either by dealer or me..i am a warranty in my own way.
The condensation problem can be solved by opening the ceiling vents just a little during those cold nights and days. I have full-timed for 5 years. In another brand of 5th wheel. Been in-10Ā° for a week.
Good luck.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I also plug in a small dehumidfer with three pups it takes a lot of water out of the air. If you do not have the dual pane windows, get bubble wrap and put on top fo the panes this helps to insulate these windows a lot

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
I also plug in a small dehumidfer with three pups it takes a lot of water out of the air. If you do not have the dual pane windows, get bubble wrap and put on top fo the panes this helps to insulate these windows a lot
Thats a good idea with the bubble wrap, Ill have to save some from the next package we get

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

PS: I also had moisture under the mattress, put one-by strips down on plywood platform, then lattice on top of that then the mattress, no difference, have European Box Springs now and seems the problem has been solved, and as one has mentioned, gotta leave a window cracked and roof vent cracked to help rid the condensation some. Hope this helps ....

Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Site Team

When camping in cold weather I ditto the comments about leaving a window cracked open on each end of the rig, plus the over head in the BR cracked open. If you can keep air circulating it will help on the condensation/moisture.

As far as these things being classified a four season unit, I really question whether "any" RV can or should be classified as being "four season". If looked at logically, they only have a 2in. sidewall at best. the floors aren't heavily or overly insulated, the roof is somewhat better, but nothing like a stick built, and the slide outs are horrendous. I think everybody should look at it in that respect, and not believe the four season BS to strongly.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

The ones we are looking at have a 3 1/4" sidewall and a fully boxed frame and are very well insulated.They even have a package for heated tanks and water inlet. I am not only looking at things like this for cold weather but they help when it is hot as well to keep the heat out. I think there are two or three manufactures I would consider real four season units but I can't name them due to the new "forum rules" which do not allow us to mention competitors. And you know I would hate to break the rules.....
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
Site Team

Must be a Teton Homes.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I would need more truck than I have now for one of those.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

For that type of use DRV would be my choice.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78

For that type of use DRV would be my choice.

.... or Redwood

Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

.... or Redwood....NO!</span>

</span>
</span>
Rule breakers!</span>
Edited by: Hunter11
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
I would need more truck than I have now for one of those.
I was afraid maybe you were jumping the gun when you bought that little Duramax.