Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

tire choice for towing on tow vehicle

Hi all, I've got a question on tire choice for the tow vehicle. Truck is a 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD crew cab, rated for 10,000 lbs. ish. Trailer is a 2013 Sunset Reserve 29SS, dry weight 6400 lbs. There are two adults, two kids, plus gear etc. I know we'll be somewhat close to the limit but with some smart choices (plastic dishes? ) we can stay under the overall numbers.

Question is on tire choice for the truck. I have a set of Toyo Open Country H/T tires on factory wheels that came with the truck sitting in my garage. 275/65/18. From what I can see they are E rated 3400 lbs @ 80 psi. On the truck right now are a set of aftermarket wheels that look way better... AMP Gripper 305/60/18 E rated 3500 lbs @ 65 psi. Aftermarket wheels are Fuel Shok rated at 2500 lbs load, which were purchased to ensure they at least matched the truck tow rating. Truck is raised 3" in front, 1" in rear, with airbags in back. My gas mileage is about the same unloaded with the AMPs.

Question for you all. For towing this trailer, would you switch back to the Toyo's @ 80 psi, or do you think I'm ok sticking with the AMPs at 65 psi? Safety, comfort, and fuel mileage comments appreciated!

I'll be running either tire at full pressure of course. Also based on your experiences, what pressure would you run the bags at? For normal driving around I set them to 10-15 lbs... My father towed for years with his set at 40... But more opinions are always appreciated, at least for a starting point.

Thanks all.