Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
New Camper

Let me start by saying I have been very happy with my 32 BL.....Crossroads has been very responsive to my minimal needs up until this point.

My unit was constructed in May of 2007 with me taking delivery through RV wholesalers in early June 2007.

My A/c has been getting worse for not cooling over the past couple of years, no problem since my family owns a HVAC company. My dad and I were adding a bit of freon to it and trying to locate the leak, as I looked over toward the antenna area I noticed an area of the roof higher than the other.

I looked at it closer and the actual roof structural material that makes the radius from the side wall has came loose. Looked closer and found a total of 3 areas where it is loose. The rubber membrane is still intact, but you can push the radius material down very easily and feel what appears to be nails or screw heads that are sticking out.

I felt a little sick at my stomach over finding this structual failure. I called the factory and spoke with Tara who is my contact for my state. She asked about the Annual Visual roof inspection, I told her that is the first I have heard of it. She said that they would not be able to honor any warranty. I became a little hot to say the least and she agreed to send it up the chain to see what happens. Now I get an email that says they will pay 6 hours labor as goodwill to repair the problem.

I understand that I did not have the roof inspected annually by a company, however I have been up on the roof at least once a year cleaning it and checking for damage. I take very good care of this unit and am very upset that the company has left me hanging on this failure.

To transport to a dealer will entail a 70 mile trek. The rubber is still intact, however if it is pulled any distance the nails or screws will probably puncture the roof membrane which will of course place more cost on me.

I have no leaks and no failure of anyother type. The only thing that could cause the radius to turn loose was a hidden structual failure inside the wall, or not enough fasters or improper fastening techniques during construction.

I have been extemly pleased with the unit up until this event. I understand that issues happen from time to time, I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if they just fixed it!!!!!!

I have spoken highly of the crossroads and the cruiser product to other campers whom inquire about the product, That has came to a grinding halt due to thier failure to perform warranty work due to the roof not being inspected by one of thier dealers on an annual basis.

Due to my work schedule in 2008 the unit has not been used very much, The unit has been to panama City Beach one time for a week and on 4 or 5 overnight trips local.....its practically brand new.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem with thier units?

Has anyone ever attempted a repair such as this themselves? The radius material appears to be constructed from luan type material as it feels through the membrane.It should be a fairly simple repair once you get the roof membrane off and access the radius themselves.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to vent. I hope that there is someone at crossroads that I can speak to in an attempt to correct this problem and put a stop to the negative publicity.

I have photos on my blackberry for anyone that would like to see them as well.

steverfd2 is offline   Reply With Quote