Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Roof Question

We have a 2015 Sunset Trail 22 RB that has something sticking up on the roof just to the left of the door. It looks as if it's a screw that is about to poke through the rubber roof. Dealership has given me the runaround since last October and Crossroads said my roof is no longer under warranty. Just sick about this and don't know what to do. We're going camping Easter weekend and are afraid whatever it is will poke through leaving a hole in the roof. Not to mention what screw came loose on the frame! Any others had this issue or know what we can do to fix this ourselves?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Probably a staple coming loose. Heard of alot of that happening. some have happened it back in then sealed the roof section with etherbond tape.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We're in the same boat with something similar. Our week old 289 Sunset Trail has a portion of the plywood that wasn't fastened down and is starting to bow up and is pushing/stretching the rubber roof. Submitted pics to the dealer and am waiting a resolution.

If yours is a staple coming loose I'd recommend attempting to tap it back down and if you compromise the rubber you can seal with eternabond.
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
New Camper

Roof Issue

Thanks for the advice - sounds like an easy fix. Just need to get some Eternabond which I had been planning on doing anyway to reinforce some seams.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Raised staples is a common concern. Sometimes they can be hammered down with a rubber mallet. I had one that couldn't be hammered and it remained sticking up for several years. The rubber roof is tough and unlikely to fail if left alone. Mine didn't fail. But drag a tree branch over the staple or step on it and all bets are off. Anyway, I cut a half circle hole in the rubber, folded the flap back and found the staple was shot at an angle and deflected. So I pulled it, drilled a pilot hole and used a 'truss screw' to pull everything tight. Finally used roof caulk under the flap and again over it. This hole is now sealed as good as any other roof penetration. I can also add an Eternabond patch if necessary.

Truss screws have a very low profile head with built in washer. Don't make the hole any larger than the screw head, the rubber will stretch and flex.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote